We all go through the struggle of finding the precise makeup for our skin and our style preferences. As such, permanent or semi-permanent makeup, such as eyeliner tattoos, is a viable option to solve these worries. Thus, we’re here to give you an in-depth look at cosmetic tattooing with eyeliner (and why you should try it out).
The Rise of the Eyeliner Tattoo
When it comes to eyeliner tattoos, a trained technician applies eyeliner tattooing with semi-permanent makeup. The tattoo can be applied in fine, thin, or medium-thick strokes, similar to eyeliner.
To avoid skin discolouration, the pigment is only applied to the epidermis. Such semi-permanent makeup is also meant to fade with time and can be reapplied or touched up again.
The Benefits of Getting Eyeliner Tattoo
The eyeliner tattoo is scratch-and-water-resistant and enhances the shape and colour of your eyes for an extended period of time. This also means that for a duration of time, re-applying eyeliner on a daily basis won’t be necessary! As such, it can shave off time from your daily makeup routine.
Additionally, it’s also worth noting that permanent or semi-permanent makeup is not the same as getting a regular tattoo. The eyeliner tattoo doesn’t involve pain or heavy metals and requires only annual touch-ups.
The Styles of Eyeliner Tattoos
There are four different eyeliner styles to choose from, as well as trendy options like ‘wings.’
1. The Subtle Eyeliner (Thin)
Thin eyeliner can still enhance the look of your eyes while remaining ‘natural.’ It’s ideal for those who want a delicate eyeliner line that can be accentuated with makeup.
2. The Bold Eyeliner (Medium)
A medium-width eyeliner is ideal for women who wear makeup on a daily basis and want to look bold but natural.
3. The Extra-Bold Eyeliner (Thick)
This is a permanent bold eyeliner look for those who wear heavy makeup and eyeliner on a daily basis.
Reminders Before the Procedure
- Remove Eyelash Extensions: Remove your lash extensions one to two days – or even better, a week – before your procedure to allow the glue to dissolve. A speck of lash glue can obstruct ink application. Once your tattoo has healed, you can reapply lash extensions.
- Avoid Blood Thinners: Three days before your procedure, stop taking aspirin, fish oil, and other “natural” blood thinners. If you are currently taking prescription blood thinners, speak with your doctor.
- Remove Contact Lenses: Contact lenses should be worn only after any tenderness or redness has subsided.
- Seek your Doctor’s Advice: If you are currently taking any prescribed medications or have a serious illness that impairs your immune system, healing, or immunity, tattooing is not advised. Cosmetic tattooing should also be avoided by pregnant or nursing women.
- The technician will confirm the design and appearance that you previously agreed upon.
- To ensure that the procedure is as painless as possible, a numbing cream is applied prior to the procedure. While some clients may feel mild discomfort, the vast majority feel little or no pain.
- The technician will wear gloves and magnifying glasses to ensure hygiene and precision.
- A tattoo needle is used to slowly inject the pigment into your skin. Expert tattooists use a digital tattoo machine with small gauge needles to create fine lines and shadows.
- Your technician will apply the pigment to small sections of your lash line with a small brush.
The entire procedure, including numbing, takes about 2-3 hours. In comparison, it can take two to three hours to apply a strong eyeliner, wing, or cat-eye.
The Longevity of the Eyeliner Tattoo
The majority of eyeliner tattoos last between 8 and 18 months, but because the pigment fades over time, a touch-up after 12 months is recommended. Medication, skin type, and overall health can all influence the rate of fading.
Reminders After the Procedure
There are several post-care precautions to take during the healing process, which usually lasts 7-10 days, such as:
- Avoid mascara, which contains bacteria and increases the risk of infection.
- Avoid rubbing or touching your eyes to avoid spreading germs and bacteria.
- Spas and saunas should be avoided.
Eyeliner tattoos are great for makeup lovers who are also busy attending to daily tasks. This procedure saves time and gives you the results you want easily! However, you must consider and determine your personal style and colour preferences before making your decision.
Are you in need of a beauty specialist on the Gold Coast? The Beauty Spot has been a leading cosmetics team on the Gold Coast since 2008. Here, we offer microdermabrasion and advanced facials, waxing for men and women, skin needling, and face lifting treatments. Shop our beauty products online today!